Building a good customer experience has never been more important than it is today. The importance of customer service in 2020 has been highlighted by the economic, social, and health crisis that the world has been in since the beginning of the year.
This situation has taught companies how vital it is to have a deep understanding of their customers’ needs, and the right systems to support them in times of uncertainty.
Contents of the post:
- The state of customer service in 2020
- Tools used to provide good customer service
- Do you offer quality customer service?
The state of customer service in 2020
Today’s consumers have high expectations when they contact a company, and expect a quick and effective response since they know the possibilities of the online world and the ease it provides to offer professional customer service.
According to a study carried out by Hubspot on the state of customer service in 2020, we find the following conclusions:
- Customer demand has increased. The level of service that might have been acceptable to a customer 10 years ago, could now result in complaints. In 2020, customers are demanding answers in minutes, not days. They expect automated and self-service options, but they also want service staff to be available to help with complex issues. And, they want every interaction they have with a business – whether it’s marketing, sales, or support – to be personalised.
- The customer service teams serve more value to the company. Customer service has always been a demanding job, and in 2020, it’s more challenging than ever. Customer service professionals are beginning to see themselves as the guardians of the customer experience. And, at a time when the customer experience is the key to growth, it becomes a differentiating value for many companies.
- Some companies mistake customer service as a cost center. What is more worrying is the growing number of companies that view customer service as a cost center. This goes against what consumers expect, as most prioritize a good customer service experience, which will make them stay with the company longer or recommend it, so in the long run, it does not mean higher costs but more benefits.
Tools used to provide good customer service
Thanks to the digital transformation and the advance of technology there are many tools and software that help improve customer service, and make the process easier and more rewarding for both clients and employees.
The virtual switchboard is a cloud-based telephone system that enables improved customer service. It includes benefits such as national and international numbering, answering machine, call transfer and forwarding, voice mail, music on hold, call recording, interactive voice response, call conferencing, and much more. With these features, we will give a more professional and closer service to all users who call the company.
In addition, systems such as 3CX Unified Communications make possible webinars or virtual conferences, bringing us even closer to consumers, as we can, for example, demonstrate how a product works or launch new services.
Call center software
Having a virtual call center or online call center also improves customer service. It allows you to automate processes, take note of customer orders, confirm appointments for medical or dental centers, or make any necessary notes about customers. It can be linked to CRM (Customer Relationship Management) so as soon as we call a customer we will know what their interests, motivations, or concerns are in order to offer a more personalised communication.
A chatbot is a technology that allows the user to have a conversation with a computer program (either by voice or message). This system has certain advantages to improve customer service, since it provides immediacy, answer to frequently asked questions, accessibility, and efficiency. With this system, the customer can get a faster response and does not have to wait until the next day when the agent joins his workstation.
Do you offer quality customer service?
It is important to provide good customer service to all types of business. No matter the size of your business, effective customer service needs to be at the heart of your business model if you wish to be successful.
All types of customers, including potential, new, and existing customers should be provided with good customer service. Nowadays, companies want personalised and individualised solutions that make them feel special. In fact, one of the things that customers are most likely to remember is the direct interaction they have with your company the first time.
Benefits of improving your customer service
- increase customer loyalty
- generate positive word-of-mouth and reputation
- increase business growth
- critical learning experience
- reduce the risk of business failures
- understanding your customers’ needs and wants
- increased efficiency