In this post we will discover what VoIP telephony consists of, what are its applications in companies and what are its benefits.
Nowadays there are a wide variety of systems to talk on the phone, although instant messaging with applications such as WhatsApp or email messages are more established in the day to day of companies, there will always be some detail or management that you have to do talking on the phone with customers, suppliers, partners or other collaborators.
VoIP telephony consists of sending the voice through the internet. As its name indicates VoIP means Voice over Internet Protocol. This alternative leaves behind conventional calls that are made through physical telephone networks and antennas, so now you only need to have good internet coverage, mobile data or be connected to a Wi-Fi network.
How does VoIP telephony apply to companies?
VoIP telephony can be installed in companies through Virtual Switchboards, with 3CX unified communications, with the SIP Trunk service for sending and receiving calls, or with a software for Call Centers in the case that your business belongs to the contact center, telemarketing or customer service area. Specifically, this type of software is very useful for companies that need to make a large volume of calls, such as a rental car or hotels to manage their reservations.
All these services allow you to have VoIP telephony in your company. Also, they can be adapted to any type of business, as many users and extensions can be added as necessary as the company grows.
To have VoIP telephony you only need an internet connection, a computer and an IP phone. In the case of the Call Center software, a headset with a microphone will be sufficient. There is also another alternative that are softphones. This is a program that can be installed on a computer or mobile phone and make calls directly through the application, such as Zoiper app.
Benefits of VoIP telephony
In addition to knowing what VoIP telephony is, it is also very important to point out the benefits that it can bring to any company.
1. Reduce fixed costs: telephone costs are usually a fixed cost in any company. With VoIP telephony and the hiring of a virtual switchboard, we save fixed costs such as the purchase or rental and maintenance of the devices, since companies will only have to bear the cost for activation of the service and the corresponding monthly rate. On the other hand, the cost per minute of virtual calls is lower than the traditional telephony.
2. No major investments: the initial investment is small, since all you need to get started is a computer, internet connection and a telephone that supports voice over IP.
3. Adaptability: you will be up to date with the latest updates in the sector. Digitization allows you to update the programs and have the latest version of the software as soon as it is available.
Also noteworthy is its flexibility of use, we can have as many users and extensions as we need simply by pressing a button, so as the company grows, telephony can be easily adapted.
4. No maintenance costs: cloud telephony does not take place in the office, as its name indicates a virtual switchboard is hosted in the digital world, so large physical switchboards are no longer necessary. This eliminates the costs of maintaining this equipment so that they are not obsolete. Besides, technical support is included in virtual telephony without additional expense.
5. Security: VoIP telephony is constantly evolving and improving, so advances in cybersecurity can be applied to your calls and the information will be encrypted. Your calls will be safe and will be completely confidential.
Data from the VoIP telephony sector
According to the information collected by ItReseller, the VoIP telephony sector is booming and it is expected that more and more companies will bet on digitizing their communications.
The evolution of the business of ICT companies has grown by 5% in the last year, and 8 out of 10 think that in the coming months their activity will increase. The demand for specialized talent continues to rise, after 2 years in which growth has remained between 4.5% and 5%.
In short, the market for cloud telephony or VoIP telephony systems is constantly growing. From 2017 to 2022, cloud extensions are expected to increase from 13 million to 26 million in Europe.